Did you know that Gabe Newell worked at Microsoft for 13 years before he founded the world renowned Valve Corporation?
Gabe started working at Microsoft as the 271st employee of the company after he dropped out of Harvard University. He did during his time at Microsoft earn over $1 million which made him a "Microsoft Millionaire". According to himself he was a "producer on the first three releases of Windows" at Microsoft.
In 1996 Gabe Newell left Microsoft together with a co-worker named Mike Harrington in order to form Valve with their own money. Gabe has his net worth estimated to an impressive $1.5 billion, while Valve Corporation was valued over $2 billion. Working at Valve he put alot of work into creating Steam, the immense digital game distributor that was released in 2003 to become the largest of its kind. Valve has since its founding released games like Half Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Portal, Dota 2 and many more.
Two of his favourite games are Doom and Super Mario 64, which made him see that video games are the future of entertainment and are a work of art.
Did you know? - Gabe Newell
- Worked 13 years at Microsoft and became a "Microsoft Millionaire".
- Was inspired to found Valve when Michael Abrash, an employee at Microsoft, left to work on Quake.
- Has a net worth of $1.5 billion.
- Said "C'mon, people, you can't show the player a really big bomb and not let them blow it up." regarding Half Life.
- Owns a special Team Fortress 2 item called the "Ban Hammer" that instantly bans a players Steam account when killed.
- Has a knife collection consisting of 600 knives at his home.
FOLLOW GAMERSBOOK ON